Saturday, 21 January 2012

Stable Field Value Extraction module released

Okay, after weeks of nobody complaining about any aspect of my field_extract module I have finally got around to issuing the code as the full stable version. Hurray.

Now because I'm lazy I use Eclipse for development purposes - I know, I know, how can I be a proper developer if I don't use Linux and Vim? Well, I don't. I was using command line before you were born (unless you were born before 1983). Been there, done that.

However Eclipse and Drupal Git are strange bedfellows, and it can take a bit of work learning how they can be made to work together.

Getting Drupal repos cloned locally isn't too much of an issue once you've got your SSH keys sorted out, and for cloning you can happily use http.

Pushing upstream is another matter entirely (and you will to need to use just Push... instead of Push upstream... until you get it sorted out and configured). If you try using http you may well hit a brick wall, just as I did. the trick is to use git+ssh for your protocol, and it'll work nicely. One thing, which is obvious unless you forget it, is to include Add all tags spec if you are uploading tags as well as branches. Ahem.

Hopefully it won't be so long before my next posting - I have a fun new website specifically for developers coming up. I think you're going to like it, it provides a service that all developers need from time to time, and there is only one website I've found that fulfils the need, and not as well as my version. It's written in D7 of course, leveraging it as a development framework rather than a CMS.

And with that enigma, I'll leave you.

No comments: